Sunday, November 8, 2009

A sunny fall Sunday

Where to begin?

Saying that sounds like I have so much to say, but actually I feel like there is nothing to say.  Strange for a person who is often perceived as too voluble.

It is extremely quiet.  No birds; just an occasional  far away car sound.  The dogs are asleep, and not even dreaming with little woofs and whines.

Now I hear a clock - it must be the Audubon bird clock - ticking slowly.

The room is dim.  It faces north and west, so since it is morning, there is no direct light.  With the narrow windows of a Victorian house, what light there is, is limited.

I think it should be a rule - all kitchens should face east, so that they are cheerful places to be in the morning, and they are not getting the heat of the sun in the afternoon, when you are likely to be doing the most cooking.

Who is it sitting here typing?

Maybe it is a good thing that I feel so empty.  You cannot pour into a full cup, after all.  But am I waiting for something?

Part of the emptiness is lack of emotion.  Am I squelching something?  Am I sad?  Mad?

It seems like so much time and effort would need to be spent to have space for a drawing desk, an easel, and just some room to breathe.  I wish I could afford to turn the garage into a studio.  I wish I could get one of those neat "little houses" on wheels - although I would be happy to take it off the wheels.  The man who builds them often uses recycled materials, so you might get a nice old fir floor.

My studio would have good-sized windows facing east into our yard, and nothing facing west - the alley. Even a door would let noise in ... and out.  The best place for the door would be facing south, toward the house.  There could be another window there too.

I could have a big desk that tilts and could be used for both art and writing.  A nice bookcase and a nice cabinet for art supplies.  One of those tube skylights to have light on the north and west sides of the room.  A nice rug for meditation.  A comfortable chair...a rocking chair? - for reading.  A fountain in the yard, so I could hear water. A pond near the door/windows.

I think I would like to make a picture - either a drawing or a collage of my studio retreat, my zen corner.

Now it is time to go into the day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment